Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Blog #5: Questions about our writing...

1)The most successful aspect of my writing in my artist statement is the opening paragraph. I think that it catches the readers attention and gets them settled in for the remainder of reading to come.

2)The writing tip that i found was "Watch Those Adverbs". My sentences used to be long with several unnecessary descriptive words. "Watch those adverbs" has shown me how to become a more powerful writer by doing less work.

3)The hardest part about writing my artists statement was having to explain the concept of Dexter to an audience who has no background knowledge of the show. I had to think of a way to explain who he is and what he represents in one page when I could have easily written ten more about him.

4)The writing tip that I found most challenging is "Activate Your Verbs". This writing tip disrupts the flow of my writing and I find myself unable to express the same meaning of the sentence through past tense. When writing a monologue, I would normally write in the present tense but I had to defy my instinct and activate my verbs.

5) "Dexter Morgan is the mild-mannered forensics analyst for the Miami Metro Police Department. In his spare time he has a peculiar habit of tracking down murderers and “disposing” of them. Dexter has the ability to manage several difficult tasks at once. Whether it taking care of work, his needy girlfriend, or dismembering the corpses of bad people, Dexter can stay on top of all of it.

I think that the most iconic thing about Dexter is his set of morals. He has a sturdy sense of right and wrong and uses a list of rules to determine if a person’s offence is deserving of death. If the target has taken an innocent life then they must pay the ultimate price. I respect Dexter because he manages to stay in control of his work, family and hobby."

1) Which words could I replace to make it sound better?

2)Does it make sense?

3)How could I better organize these paragraphs?

No comments:

Post a Comment