Thursday, September 16, 2010

American Icons Project





















Dexter Morgan

By: Jon Silva

Recently, I went to Mexico for a week during summer vacation. When the sun goes down, there is not much to do outdoors so I planned ahead and rented the first season of Dexter to bring with me. As the credits rolled after the first episode, I was hooked. The protagonist of the series was so interesting that I could not resist watching the next episode because the curiosity was too much. I ended up watching the entire season in two nights (that’s six hours a day!). I grew attached to Dexter and it feels like if I hung out with him, we would be best friends.

Dexter Morgan is the mild-mannered forensics analyst for the Miami Metro Police Department. In his spare time he has a peculiar habit of tracking down murderers and “disposing” of them. Dexter has the ability to manage several difficult tasks at once. Whether it taking care of work, his needy girlfriend, or dismembering the corpses of bad people, Dexter can stay on top of all of it.

I think that the most iconic thing about Dexter is his set of morals. He has a sturdy sense of right and wrong and uses a list of rules to determine if a person’s offence is deserving of death. If the target has taken an innocent life then they must pay the ultimate price. I respect Dexter because he manages to stay in control of his work, family and hobby.

“People fake a lot of human interactions, but I feel like I fake them all, and I fake them very well, that's my burden, I guess.” Dexter has an inhuman side to him that emerges periodically. He becomes a beast without emotion that kills for the satisfaction. Dexter is also pretty normal on a certain level. He laughs, loves and learns just like everyone else. He disagrees with the current justice system, which is why he feels like he has to takes matters into his own hands.

I admire Dexter’s sense of morality and his ability to live a balanced and healthy lifestyle. These are some goals I have set for myself and I find Dexter to be a good example of an intelligent man with a stable career and a fulfilling life. Dexter is a man of logic and a man of mystery, which is what I find most interesting about him. If you haven’t seen the show, go to your nearest video store and check it out. I promise that it’s worth your while.(All 36 hours of it)

No comments:

Post a Comment